Approx 15 min
Praying using bible passages is a wonderful way to connect with the themes, priorities and heart of God.
- Enough copies of bible verses (see suggestions below) for everyone in the congregation.
- Print or photocopy each of the passages and cut out.
- Give a passage to each person as they enter into church, youth group or small group meeting (may want to include it into your church bulletin or newsletter).
- At some point in your time together, invite people to form groups of three (all with a different bible passage) and the read the verses aloud.
- Encourage the groups to share what the passages reveal about the heart of God.
- Pray in the small groups, focusing on God’s revelation to the least-reached people groups of the world.
Micah 6:6-8 (NIV)
With what shall I come before the Lord and bow down before the exalted God? Shall I come before him with burnt offerings, with calves a year old?
Will the LORD be pleased with thousands of rams, with ten thousand rivers of olive oil? Shall I offer my firstborn for my transgression, the fruit of my body for the sin of my soul?
He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.
Acts 10:44-48 (NIV)
While Peter was still speaking these words, the Holy Spirit came on all who heard the message. The circumcised believers who had come with Peter were astonished that the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out even on Gentiles. For they heard them speaking in tongues and praising God.
Then Peter said, “Surely no one can stand in the way of their being baptised with water. They have received the Holy Spirit just as we have.” So he ordered that they be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ. Then they asked Peter to stay with them for a few days.
Revelation 7:9-10 (NIV)
After this I looked, and there before me was a great multitude that no one could count, from every nation, tribe, people and language, standing before the throne and before the Lamb. They were wearing white robes and were holding palm branches in their hands. And they cried out in a loud voice:
“Salvation belongs to our God, who sits on the throne, and to the Lamb.”