« BACK TO BLOG POSTS
John 15 - We are Branches! [Session 1]
25/05/2018 12:01:42 PM | Cathie Staunton
Have you ever seen grapevines grow along the ground? Without being a viticulturist (i.e. someone who knows a lot about vineyards) we can still understand that grapes grow best when they’re grown on a supporting trellis and when they have a gardener to tend to and train the branches of the vine. What would happen if the branches were left to grow across the ground? They would get dirty, trampled on, and be more susceptible to disease and pests.
Read John 15:1-4
1 “I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. 2 He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful. 3 You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you. 4 Remain in me, as I also remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me.
In These Verses:
- Jesus uses an everyday, familiar plant to teach and speak to the disciples
- God is identified as a gardener who nurtures and sustains the Vine and the branches
- The disciples are reminded that they have been created and cleansed to have a deep relationship with God through Jesus
- Jesus is also bringing the disciples back to their Jewish teaching where the people of Israel were referred to as God’s branches reaching out to the world
Global Interaction branches out across Africa, Asia and Outback Australia through cross-cultural workers who are called by God to invite people to meet Jesus in a real and culturally relevant way. For over 135 years Australian Baptists have supported God’s mission, and through the work of Jesus and the power of the Holy Spirit we continue to reach out, so
that more people may experience a life-giving relationship with God.
Ponder. Discuss. Act.
- How does Jesus speak to you in your everyday life and what does He use to teach you?
- What has God pruned back in your life? How does God nurture and sustain you?
- Catch up with a cross-cultural worker or candidate and ask them how they have heard from Jesus in their calling to cross‑cultural work. (Contact your State Office to connect with candidates and cross-cultural workers.)
- Pray for our cross-cultural workers to remain in the Vine and branch out further. For prayer ideas, visit www.globalinteraction.org.au/pray
- How can you seek God in your everyday in order to become a healthier branch and hear God’s calling on your life?