« BACK TO BLOG POSTS
Luke 10 - The Kingdom of God is Near [Session 4]
7/04/2016 10:15:27 AM |
The clear focus in today’s verses are that Jesus is the presence of God’s saving activity among people. Jesus is the Good News of salvation and restoration to the world. The 72 were to journey with a passion to see the gift of Jesus, His peace and His kingdom be embraced by all people. They were to believe that God’s greatest gift is a life transforming relationship with Jesus and they were to take that message to people who had not heard. It is a wholistic mission – sharing the Good News in what they say and how they act.
Read Luke 10:9-11
"Heal the sick in it and say to them, ‘The kingdom of God has come near to you.’ But whenever you enter a town and they do not receive you, go into its streets and say, ‘Even the dust of your town that clings to our feet we wipe off against you. Nevertheless know this, that the kingdom of God has come near.’ I tell you, it will be more bearable on that day for Sodom than for that town.”
These verses at first glance are quite confronting and yet they shed light on the difficulties of God’s mission:
- Our lives, both our actions and our words, are to demonstrate the message of Jesus.
- There are times when moving on from relationships seems to be required if the mission of God is to be fulfilled.
- God will judge those who reject him. But Jesus has already said the harvest is plentiful, we are to be part of God’s solution.
- People will accept or reject the Good News. Whether they respond positively or negatively is not ours to judge, it is for God.
Discuss and Reflect
- How do you think we can discern if we have a relationship we need to move on from in order for the mission of God to be fulfilled?
- What part is God calling you to play in your local setting so that others may have the opportunity to enter the Kingdom of God?
- What do you know about least-reached people groups (check out globalinteraction.org.au for more info)? What part will you play in helping these people hear the message of Jesus? Pray, give, go?