This five day workshop is for anyone seeking to build authentic relationships and share life with people of other cultures and languages, locally or globally.
This course is for you if you want to:
click here to register for CULTURE AND LANGUAGE WORKSHOP
- Learn how to learn another language and culture in a way that builds relationship
- Grow your ability to build relationships as you teach English
- Build connections with non-English speaking communities in your church’s
- Discern your call to ministry within another culture and language group
Course Program and Promo:
2020 program (subject to change) >>
Printable PDF promotional poster >>
- The course runs from 28 Jan - 1 Feb 2020 at Kew Baptist Church
- From Tues - Fri the course will be held at Kew Baptist Church (Newnham Hall, 16 Highbury Grove, Kew Victoria) and on Saturday the course will be held at Global Interaction (597 Burwood Road, Hawthorn Victoria).
- Kew Baptist church is a short walk from tram routes 16, 24, 48 and 109 and a 20 minute walk from Glenferrie train station, and Global Interaction is a few minutes walk from Auburn train station.
- Session times are 8:30am - 4:30pm.
- Cost is $350 (inc GST). Global Interaction will email you an invoice. This includes morning and afternoon tea and lunch.
- Students enrolling for credit contact Whitley college. Your subject fees will incorporate Global Interaction’s fee.
- Soon after registration you will receive online access to pre-reading articles. If you are taking the course for credit, you will have access to the readings via ARK. Readings are compulsory for those seeking academic credit, and strongly encouraged for those who are participating for interest.
- Parking is available onsite at the KSR carpark, the Kew Baptist Church car park or on the streets nearby.
- Kew Student Residence is next door to the church, and will be the venue for lunches for all participants. Those staying on site will have a single bed in a twin room (singles will have their own room). Mens and womens bathrooms are shared, as are the dining room and lounge areas. Breakfast, lunch and dinner is included ($55 per night). See the website for more info.
Ian is the lecturer in intercultural studies at Whitley College and served with his family in Malawi for more than 20 years. Ian spends four months a year working with a Ciyawo-English Dictionary Project, supports strategic formation ministries for the Yawo team and also prepares cross-cultural staff for culture and language acquisition. and assist teams to think strategically about their ministry.
Testimonials from past participants:
- ‘I was blown away by the quality of this course. It exceeded expectations.’
- ‘This is the framework I’ve been longing for. I’m especially appreciative that the theological underpinning was powerfully presented.’
- ‘After this course, my motivation for culture and language learning is now 10 out of 10, I can’t wait!’
2020 Global Interaction candidates participating in the course
Ally - South East Asia
Susie - Malawi
A dynamic educational community, set within the pleasant parklands of Parkville, offering a unique study experience. Students come to Whitley for a range of purposes: as a place to engage in theological studies, and as a resource for ongoing professional development. For all, Whitley College is a community where people can grow. The community life is based upon values of respect for every individual and an encouragement for each person to grow in all aspects of life: academic, physical, social and spiritual. Some other mission subjects on offer in 2019 are Biblical Perspectives on Poverty and Transformational Development, Reading Scripture Interculturally and Understanding Islam and our Muslim Neighbours.
Baptist Union of Victoria
The aim of the BUV’s Mission Catalyst Team is to realign our churches for mission, and develop and communicate a vision for Christ-centred, Kingdom-oriented mission. There is a great need within our state for us to become more focused on the people around our churches, and for us to begin to focus on how we can reach them more effectively. Our intention is to help churches to follow the call of Christ to go out into the world and make disciples, and in doing so increase the Kingdom of God.
Kew Student Residence
KSR provides affordable accommodation for students from any background who are studying higher education in Melbourne. Our supportive community enables students to grow and learn as they prepare for life after study. We strive to provide a positive and safe environment with the encouragement of resident managers and support staff who live onsite. Students at KSR make friends for life.
Kew Baptist Church
We are a diverse group of people with a rich heritage of faith and community that goes back 162 years in Kew. Our doors are open to everyone. We believe that Jesus is the Way, the Truth and the Life for all people. We seek to Grow spiritually through engaging in daily spiritual disciplines; Gather regularly in community at Sunday worship, in Small Groups and Prayer Huddles; Give of ourselves in service to others and be generous with our lives; Go into all the world to share the love and good news of Jesus.
REGISTRATION FORM: CULTURE AND LANGUAGE WORKSHOP 2020